Poll: What Order would you like to be in?

Order of Enthrallment
Highmoon Brotherhood
Fellowship of Wizardry
Circle of the Guiled
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Help us design Orders hiring quiz/quest

#1 zatokar
Hey guys, we are going to work on implementation of the hiring quiz/quest for each of the Orders.

It's time now for you to give us a helping hand if you wish. Therefore I would like you to suggest one question and one interesting quest idea that would help our system decide where does player belong. Questions should be simple and tricky so player cannot guess it. Also be sure we will twist it so not even you will know.

Quests should include basic stuff like walk this much, kill this many creatures, collect this many items, brew this potion or all combined. 

So bring it ooon!
Maguss Founder
#2 Memnoich
Which do you have a closer affinity with?
  1. Nature
  2. Books
  3. Technology
  4. Darkness
What is magic?
  1. Energy
  2. Life Force
  3. Power
  4. Mystical
How do you cast a spell?
  1. Instinctual
  2. Study and concentration
  3. Ceremonially
  4. with help from the Elements
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#3 Starius
You see a stranger casting a spell you've never seen before.
What do you do?
  • 1.  Introduce yourself and ask them to teach you the spell. 
  • 2.  Try to reverse engineer the spell based on what you witnessed. 
  • 3.  Magically spy on them and hope to learn the spell.  
  • 4.  Attack the unknown mage and force them to reveal the secrets!
#4 jhamm
You see an unfriendly looking creature in front of you, it hasn't noticed your presence. How do you choose to approach it?

1.  Attack it head on

2.  You think about what spell to use and what strategy that would have the best
      chance for success before attacking.

3.  You look at the creature more closely and try to find out if the unknown creature is actually hostile towards you, 
      before you decide to attack it.

4.  Don't let the creature discover your presence. 
      Sit back and figure out the best way to end the fight before you begin to act.

What kind of person are you when attending a party,  where are you and what are you often doing at one?

1.  You're in the middle of the room talking to anyone that might listen to your own achievements and life stories.

2.  You're with a couple of friends that you know well. You talk about new
      discoveries and happenings in the world.

3.  At the beginning, you talk with everyone, but when you hear a person say something
      that you disagree with, you instantly leave them alone.

4.  You sit in a corner and only chat with the people that notice you, but if
      the party requires you to act in a different way, you'll change attitude.

Quest

You have been contacted by a small city that is searching for help from a wizard, Their city was suddenly attacked by 3 large monsters and they had no real way to defend themselves. Your order has members in many cities and one member hears the news and decides to give the mission to you. He gives you a scroll with the required knowledge that you need to complete the mission and leaves you alone.

You open the scroll and read;
locate the 3 monsters that were last seen in the village, the people believe the monsters will attack again if not stopped soon.
They shouldn't have walked much farther than 1 kilometer, good luck and remember to always stay in the shadows.

Walk 1 km, find the monsters and kill them.
#5 Memnoich
How would you prefer to spend your time?
  1. With friends and family
  2. Enjoying nature
  3. Learning something new
  4. By myself
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#6 zatokar
Nice ideas! Thank you guys. Anyone else who has something more is welcome.
Maguss Founder
#7 Deinara
Memnoich I really like yours XD I'm totally 4 lol.

Which animal would you prefer as a companion?

1 Lion
2 Wolf
3 Owl
4 Raven
#8 BryanCoppermane
What potion do you always carry with you?

1. Lion Heart
2. Mind Draught
3. Shadow Walk
4. Stone Skin

As far as an intro quest goes, maybe implement one quest with four different completion methods that all players must complete? Each approach to finishing the quest corresponds to one of the Wizard Guilds, and after completing the quest, the appropriate guild will attempt to recruit the player.

For example: Some small-time villain (regional baron, sentient monster, etc.) is harassing the locals. You have to decide how to deal with said villain, and bring relief to the townsfolk.
1. Confront the villain outright in a duel. (Enthrallment option, make villain *just* strong enough to require a little training to defeat)
2. Follow the villain till he/she/it is vulnerable, then take them by surprise and negotiate their surrender. (Highmoon option, this would essentially be a mini dungeon where you "trail the villain" by walking along a path of map checkpoints.)
3. Brew a specific potion and trade it to the villain in exchange for peace. (Guiled option, reasonably simple potion that still requires some ingredient hunting)
4. Tame a specific creature and intimidate the villain into leaving the locals alone. (Fellowship option, maybe have the game engine spawn the creature nearby regardless of location tags, similar to Pokemon Go's starter spawn. Again, make it *just* challenging enough to require a little training first)

Still a pretty rough idea, and I have no idea how much effort it would take to implement, but I think this format of intro quest would make the early stages of the game much more immersive. New players would feel more connected to their chosen Guild, rather than just jumping on board with some group based on a short description.
#9 QuantumSnow
(10-22-2016, 05:09 AM)BryanCoppermane Wrote: [...]

As far as an intro quest goes, maybe implement one quest with four different completion methods that all players must complete? Each approach to finishing the quest corresponds to one of the Wizard Guilds, and after completing the quest, the appropriate guild will attempt to recruit the player.

For example: Some small-time villain (regional baron, sentient monster, etc.) is harassing the locals. You have to decide how to deal with said villain, and bring relief to the townsfolk.
1. Confront the villain outright in a duel. (Enthrallment option, make villain *just* strong enough to require a little training to defeat)
2. Follow the villain till he/she/it is vulnerable, then take them by surprise and negotiate their surrender. (Highmoon option, this would essentially be a mini dungeon where you "trail the villain" by walking along a path of map checkpoints.)
3. Brew a specific potion and trade it to the villain in exchange for peace. (Guiled option, reasonably simple potion that still requires some ingredient hunting)
4. Tame a specific creature and intimidate the villain into leaving the locals alone. (Fellowship option, maybe have the game engine spawn the creature nearby regardless of location tags, similar to Pokemon Go's starter spawn. Again, make it *just* challenging enough to require a little training first)

Still a pretty rough idea, and I have no idea how much effort it would take to implement, but I think this format of intro quest would make the early stages of the game much more immersive. New players would feel more connected to their chosen Guild, rather than just jumping on board with some group based on a short description.
I had thought about something like that too. My only concern is that it is very error-prone to determine a general attitude (and thus an order) from a single choice of someone. But it is not a big issue if the player still has the choice afterwards.
Maybe as an idea for the future to keep it as accurate as possible I would suggest having many such quests and the player can play without a commitment to one order as long as he wants to. By completing quests the orders try to recruit him when he chose their way of doing that often enough. That way it would also be possible to get more than one order to trying to recruit the player when he shows traits of multiple orders.
May the force be equal to mass times acceleration.
#10 Deinara
Depending on what functions orders have, anyone else think an imbalance in the number of people in the different orders could be an issue?
Since there's a quiz, people cant really choose directly, but even in the poll above (admittedly a small sample size) theres an imbalance. Since I dont really see any way of creating a balance artificially that works well, I think its important when deciding what function the orders will have to consider that the game structure shouldnt disadvantage members of a smaller order (in case that happens).