• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not a Potterhead...

#11 Helly25
I actually didn't know that one yet! (I think we can blame it on my age, mostly. I'm a '98 kid. lol)
I will definitely check it out either way!
How many Muggles does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
One. It is the only thing they are good for.

Why doesn't Voldemort have glasses?
Nobody nose.

How do Death Eaters freshen their breath?
With Dementos.
#12 BlkSabbath74
(04-05-2017, 10:30 AM)Helly25 Wrote: I actually didn't know that one yet! (I think we can blame it on my age, mostly. I'm a '98 kid. lol)
I will definitely check it out either way!

Hellblazer is a DC comic about a supernatural detective, somewhat similar to Dresden. Avoid the Keanu Reeves movies Constantine, but you can watch episodes of a very well depicted TV series on CWSeed. Very good stuff.
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"Oh, basely done!" he cried. "I had hoped for better of thee!"

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

- The Courts of Chaos, Roger Zelazny
#13 Memnoich
Saw the Reeve's movie, heard about the comics, but only read like one or two. Heard the TV show didn't do too good though. I'll check it out, it seemed kinda like the Dresden Verse, just more specialized into the Angels and Demons part.
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#14 BlkSabbath74
(04-05-2017, 01:52 PM)Memnoich Wrote: Saw the Reeve's movie, heard about the comics, but only read like one or two. Heard the TV show didn't do too good though. I'll check it out, it seemed kinda like the Dresden Verse, just more specialized into the Angels and Demons part.

Yeah, the TV show got cancelled after a season, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. It just means it didn't appeal to enough people.

Still well worth the watch, IMO...although the commercials for Jane the Virgin want to make me want to choke to death anyone associated with it...consider yourself warned.
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

#15 BlkSabbath74
Okay, I just got finished with Order of the Phoenix, and am starting on Order of the Phoenix, and it definitely feels like 'Camelot' is over...

The first three books were fairly whimsical and safe (even with Dragons and Basilisks) but now there has been a fundamental shift.

The Ministry of Magic is clealry garbage, and is arguably as big of an enemy (Arthur Weasely notwithstanding) as Voldemort, in their own way. I feel I've turned on a fulcrum, and that everything from here on out will be a lot darker.

I actually like that a lot.

#16 Memnoich
(04-05-2017, 02:24 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: Yeah, the TV show got cancelled after a season, but that doesn't mean it wasn't good. It just means it didn't appeal to enough people.

Still well worth the watch, IMO...although the commercials for Jane the Virgin want to make me want to choke to death anyone associated with it...consider yourself warned.
Well that can go 2 ways, the Dresden Files series, or the Firefly Series.
Dresden files TV show was ok, and while I was disapointed that it only lasted a season, I'm good with it because of how badly it interpreted the books.
FireFly TV Series, WTF Fox, you were dumb to cancel that show, it would probably still be going if you hadn't, I just hope they are able to revisit it, I'm sure it won't be the same because different crew and all, but it might be just as good because of the IP world that was built.

(05-09-2017, 02:16 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: Okay, I just got finished with Order of the Phoenix, and am starting on Order of the Phoenix, and it definitely feels like 'Camelot' is over...

The first three books were fairly whimsical and safe (even with Dragons and Basilisks) but now there has been a fundamental shift.

The Ministry of Magic is clealry garbage, and is arguably as big of an enemy (Arthur Weasely notwithstanding) as Voldemort, in their own way. I feel I've turned on a fulcrum, and that everything from here on out will be a lot darker.

I actually like that a lot.

Yes, the last couple books get really dark, The kids are older, starting to have to deal with actually society and other adult stuff. We see that even the Government we thought was looking out for us is really just looking out for itself. These are the books that sold it for me, the first were good for kids, but these are for those kids grown up. If I were to have my kids read them , I would have them do it one book a year so that they grew with the kids in the books.
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#17 DurkheimianSociology
You should keep an eye out for Dizary. It's a fantasy new series, but rather awesome. I got a copy from my dad, but I don't really like fiction. The writing was really good and enjoyable, though. The problem for you lot is that it's only in Dutch for now. The whole title is Dizary: Het Levende Systeem or Dizary: The Living System in English, so you know what to look out for. The official site is https://www.dizary.nl

It's funny, though. I used to read quite some fiction in my teens, but nowadays I just want to read popular science and college textbooks from courses I'm not currently following. I'm currently reading The Selfish Gene and An Appetite for Wonder: the Making of a Scientist. I just love nothing more than knowledge and thinking Smile
Science gave us Maguss, which in turn gave us Magic.

Praise Maguss!