• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Not a Potterhead...

#1 BlkSabbath74
I'm going to out myself here as not being much of a Potter fan. I've seen 3 of the movies, and enjoyed them. I plan to see them all eventually. My 8-year-old daughter has all the books, so I suppose I'll read them.

However, I'm much more of a generalist when it comes to my geeky activities. When I look at this game, my primary analogue is to Mage the Ascension and Mage the Awakening from White Wolf's World of Darkness. Where a lot of people see it as a transreality MMORPG, I am looking at it as a global, persistent LARP.

Anyway, I am truly excited about this game.

If anyone is in the Birmingham, Alabama area, please hit me up!
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"Oh, basely done!" he cried. "I had hoped for better of thee!"

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

- The Courts of Chaos, Roger Zelazny
#2 Memnoich
trust me, you aren't the only one to see it this way, I mentioned some of the stuff from ascension to the Devs, wasn't really too familiar with awakening. This is my hope that it build in to a large, constant "Mage" LARP, imagine visiting a large city and running quest's and exploring dungeons while you are there, meeting up with locals, or even getting together because of a large "boss" event. so much fun.
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#3 BlkSabbath74
(03-17-2017, 02:10 PM)Memnoich Wrote: trust me, you aren't the only one to see it this way, I mentioned some of the stuff from ascension to the Devs, wasn't really too familiar with awakening. This is my hope that it build in to a large, constant "Mage" LARP, imagine visiting a large city and running quest's and exploring dungeons while you are there, meeting up with locals, or even getting together because of a large "boss" event. so much fun.

The four Orders are somewhat similar to four of the five Orders from Mage the Awakening (the four being descended from Atlantis and the fifth being kind of a catch-all).

From Wiki...

[*]The Adamantine Arrow: spiritual warriors and masters of conflict, who claim a heritage going back to the First City's defenders. Currently, the Order of the Arrow could perhaps be described as something akin to a knightly sect, though bushido and other warrior codes find a place in The Arrow. These mages conduct intensive physical and mental training, honing the minds and bodies of order members into deadly weapons which magical society may then wield against its enemies (such as vampires, werewolves, Seers of the Throne, and so on).

[*]Guardians of the Veil: spies and conspirators who claim their descent from the intelligence officers and enforcers of the First City's laws. Currently, they bear a resemblance to a combination of many occult conspiracies, such as the Thule. Many obscure their activities and identities even from other mages, and act as a check on humanity's dangerous curiosity for "that which man was not meant to know".

[*]The Mysterium: dedicated to pursuit of magical lore and the acquisition, cataloguing, and study of mystical and occult knowledge and artifacts. The "mystagogues" (as they are called) continue the ancient heritage of the scholarly and intellectual of Atlantean society. Their internal structure often resembles the academic structures of the part of the world in which they reside. The Mysterium gathers, catalogues and maintains items of all types of magical and historical significance.

[*]The Silver Ladder: dedicated to ruling, guiding and reshaping the world, the viziers, senators and priests of the First City remain in force. Politicians and authoritarians, the théarchs believes in creating a perfect hierarchy (with themselves at the top, of course) which will seize control of reality, subjugating it to the will of mankind; this dream is not without its altruistic appeal. As a member of the Ladder might point out, control over reality could bring an end to human suffering in all its forms.

Not exact, by any means, but probably about as similar as the four Hogwarts Houses...roughly analogous to D&Ds quatro of Fighter, Thief, Mage and Cleric.

But yeah, I'm an old Ascension guy at heart...usually played Cult of Ecstasy with carousing and comic relief in mind...so I'm leaning strongly towards Circle of the Guiled.

I'll say this, I think that a strength of the Maguss Orders is that Circle of the Guiled could be comparable to the Silver Ladder from Mage the Awakening, House Slytherin from Harry Potter, The Cult of Ecstasy or Order of Hermes from Mage the Ascension, House Bonisagus or House Tremere from Ars Magica, and probably a lot of other things I can't remember or don't know about.

I'll say this, I think that a strength of the Maguss Orders is that Circle of the Guiled could be comparable to the Silver Ladder from Mage the Awakening, House Slytherin from Harry Potter, The Cult of Ecstasy or Order of Hermes from Mage the Ascension, House Bonisagus or House Tremere from Ars Magica, and probably a lot of other things I can't remember or don't know about.

But year, sorry to have gotten off on a tangent. It probably won't be the last time.

And yes, a giant Mage LARP is pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for...
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

#4 BlkSabbath74
Okay, just finished the first Harry Potter novel. Not bad. I'd already seen the movie (years ago) so parts were painful (all the focus on Snape being the villain) but I enjoyed the stuff that wasn't in the film.

I haven't even seen the second movie, so I'll probably enjoy that book more.

For the record, Clive Barker and Neil Gaimen are still more in my wheelhouse, but it's a good read.

#5 Memnoich
bah, go for The Dresden Files by Jim butcher, its Harry Potter, for adults.
#6 BlkSabbath74
(04-04-2017, 08:42 PM)Memnoich Wrote: bah, go for The Dresden Files by Jim butcher, its Harry Potter, for adults.

I've been meaning to...I enjoyed the short-lived TV show...They were obviously good enough to spawn that Fate-based RPG...

#7 Memnoich
Blasphemy..... Lol, actually the SciFi show is what got me hook on the books, and just like anything, SOOOOO much better, just Ask Helly25, I turned her on to them, and she has devoured the whole series since Nov.
#8 BlkSabbath74
(04-04-2017, 09:29 PM)Memnoich Wrote: Blasphemy..... Lol, actually the SciFi show is what got me hook on the books, and just like anything, SOOOOO much better, just Ask Helly25, I turned her on to them, and she has devoured the whole series since Nov.

Shut up, shut up, shut up...you had me at 'Blasphemy.'

Yeah, I've heard that the goofy things I didn't like about the show don't exist in the novels...

After I finish the Potter stuff (because, you know, my daughter already owns it) I'll start hitting those...

#9 Helly25
Oh gosh, yes. The Dresden Files are awesome! Thank you so much, Mem, I spent all of my money on the audiobooks and the ebooks Wink I will finish book 15 tomorrow, probably, so we can finally talk about it properly without you giving me spoilers ^^
There's also some graphic novels of TDF if you are into those more, Sabbath. Just starting in on those as well.. Tongue
You will like the books! All that Harry snark is soo awesome. I laughed my behind off several times. Jim Butcher is a genius, there's so much more to the series than the tv show could show! (And yep, I started in on the tv show as well just recently.. I'm addicted.)
How many Muggles does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
One. It is the only thing they are good for.

Why doesn't Voldemort have glasses?
Nobody nose.

How do Death Eaters freshen their breath?
With Dementos.
#10 BlkSabbath74
What do you guys think of John Constantine/Hellblazer?