• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Maguss Book Club

#11 Brabbelback
(05-08-2017, 04:05 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 07:23 PM)Memnoich Wrote: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (6 Book Series) by Michael Scott - Very similar to the idea of Maguss, wizards hiding and fighting in Modern day.

So are the Nicholas Flamel books connected to Harry Potter, or separate?

I read all of  them some years ago! And they are separate and not connected in any way with Harry Potter! Nicholas Flamel is a often used character in fantasy Books!
[Image: giphy.gif]
#12 BlkSabbath74
(05-09-2017, 07:47 AM)Brabbelback Wrote:
(05-08-2017, 04:05 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 07:23 PM)Memnoich Wrote: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (6 Book Series) by Michael Scott - Very similar to the idea of Maguss, wizards hiding and fighting in Modern day.

So are the Nicholas Flamel books connected to Harry Potter, or separate?

I read all of  them some years ago! And they are separate and not connected in any way with Harry Potter! Nicholas Flamel is a often used character in fantasy Books!

Are they any good?
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"Oh, basely done!" he cried. "I had hoped for better of thee!"

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

- The Courts of Chaos, Roger Zelazny
#13 BlkSabbath74
Also, has anyone read the Shadowrun Secrets of Power novels by Robert Charrette?

- Never Deal with a Dragon
- Choose your Enemies Carefully
- Find your Own Truth

They are set in a cyberpunk future from the 1990s, that frankly isn't too much different than our world today, and dealt with a novice shaman learning the ways of magic in a postmodern world.
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

#14 Memnoich
(05-09-2017, 02:19 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: Are they any good?

Oh yeah they are good, granted they are mostly about kids learning magic in modern world, kind of like HP but less wizards, like only a handfull in the whole world.

(05-09-2017, 05:03 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: Also, has anyone read the Shadowrun Secrets of Power novels by Robert Charrette?

- Find your Own Truth

They are set in a cyberpunk future from the 1990s, that frankly isn't too much different than our world today, and dealt with a novice shaman learning the ways of magic in a postmodern world.

I remember reading the "Never deal with a dragon" and thinking it was OK, nothing to write home about, but wasn't disappointed about wasting time reading it.
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#15 BlkSabbath74
(05-10-2017, 02:41 PM)Memnoich Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 02:19 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: Are they any good?

Oh yeah they are good, granted they are mostly about kids learning magic in modern world, kind of like HP but less wizards, like only a handfull in the whole world.

(05-09-2017, 05:03 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: Also, has anyone read the Shadowrun Secrets of Power novels by Robert Charrette?

- Find your Own Truth

I remember reading the "Never deal with a dragon" and thinking it was OK, nothing to write home about, but wasn't disappointed about wasting time reading it.

I remember liking it, but I was playing a TON of Shadowrun, and I was maybe 13-14, so I don't know what I'd think of them now.

I mean, I read anything I could get my hands on back then, including a TON of very poorly written TSR novels...

Not to say that there weren't some good ones as well, but for every good novel (or, let's face it, Trilogy) there were a dozen that weren't very good.