• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Maguss Book Club

#1 BlkSabbath74
Hey guys, I wanted to start a Book Club Challenge to help us all identify good books that could be used as inspiration to play Maguss, and to share some of our own favorites.

I’ve already received some good recommendations from members here, but as those aren’t really mine to make (yet), but I’ll start with a few of my own by Clive Barker (beware adult themes and disturbing imagery).

Imajica – This epic tale can be found in one huge volume or two, still very sizable volumes. It’s pretty much impossible to describe fully, but it follows the adventures of Gentle, an artist, Judith, his former lover, and a shape-shifting assassin named Pie as they leave our world (The Fifth Dominion) on a journey of self-exploration through the other four dominions, eventually to confront the tyrant known as the Autarch and reconcile all the dominions.

The Books of the Art – Equally hard to describe, (below)

The Great and Secret Show – Tesla Bombeck and her allies find themselves drawn into the secret war between the Fletcher, Master of Dreams, and the Jaffe, Master of Nightmares. As the dreams and nightmares do battle in the streets of Palamo Grove, where the Jaffe seeks to rip a wound in reality in order to gain access to Quiddity, the Dream Sea, our group must avert what could be a world-ending crisis.

Everville – Tesla Bombeck is back, and allied with Harry D’Amour, the Occult Detective from The Last Illusion (Lord of Illusions – film) and The Scarlet Gospels, as well as others. In Everville, the must confront new challenges coming from across the Dream Sea.
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"Oh, basely done!" he cried. "I had hoped for better of thee!"

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

- The Courts of Chaos, Roger Zelazny
#2 Brabbelback
A definitely favorite of mine is: The Kingkiller Chronicle
                                              Patrick Rothfuss (Give it a try! It's just great!)
Here is some urban fantasy:
 - The Iron Druid Chronicles
   Kevin Hearne (2000 year old druid talking to his dog and killing the evil guys with magic!)
 - The Dresden Files
   Jim Butcher (Take Sherlock Holmes, mix it with some cool magic and spice it with a lot of puns!)

Here is a good "normal" fantasy book:
 - Heroes of the Valley
   Jonathan Stroud (Boy living in a valley where meat eating monster come out of holes)

This is a very abridged list of my favorite fantasy books.
(I didn't mentioned Harry Potter because everyone has probably read it.)
[Image: giphy.gif]
#3 Memnoich
There is a previous post that is similar: http://forum.maguss.org/thread-107.html

Modern Day Magic Stories
The Dresden files - I've always thought of as the Harry Potter for Adults 
Mither Mage's Series by Orson Scott Card - Mage's from another world come to the Earth and are the Gods here
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (6 Book Series) by Michael Scott - Very similar to the idea of Maguss, wizards hiding and fighting in Modern day.
FableHaven by Brandun Mull - Kids series about a Mystical Refuge
Thomas covenant series by Stephen R Donaldson - Man with leprosy travels to another world when unconscious where he has unimaginable power
Shannara Chronicles by Terry Brooks - Series bounces between modern day and far flung future where magic and demons collide (also a TV Series)
DeathGate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - Two Major Powers warred with each other, the world was sundered and rebuilt, this series is the aftermath
The Magicians by Lev Grossman - The source of magic is disappearing, students from the modern school of magic are the only hope (also a TV Series)
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#4 Brabbelback
(04-20-2017, 07:23 PM)Memnoich Wrote: The Dresden files - I've always thought of as the Harry Potter for Adults

I'd rather say "The Dresden Files" are magic "Scherlock Holmes" and "Kingkiller Chronicles" is "Harry Potter" for Adults...

In "Kingkiller Chronicles" and "Harry Potter" there are so many similarities!
For example:
As I don't know how to censor spoiler in this forum, i wont post any. If someone could tell me if there is something like a" [spoiler] someone dies [/spoiler] "  command or smth. in this forum possible, i will finish my post!
#5 BlkSabbath74
(04-20-2017, 07:44 PM)Brabbelback Wrote:
(04-20-2017, 07:23 PM)Memnoich Wrote: The Dresden files - I've always thought of as the Harry Potter for Adults

I'd rather say "The Dresden Files" are magic "Scherlock Holmes" and "Kingkiller Chronicles" is "Harry Potter" for Adults...

In "Kingkiller Chronicles" and "Harry Potter" there are so many similarities!
For example:
As I don't know how to censor spoiler in this forum, i wont post any. If someone could tell me if there is something like a" [spoiler] someone dies [/spoiler] "  command or smth. in this forum possible, i will finish my post!

Memnioch had recommended Dresden Files as well, so once I finish the Harry Potter books (starting Goblet of Fire today) I will start looking for Storm Front used on Amazon.

So is Kingkiller set in modern day as well?
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

#6 BlkSabbath74
(04-20-2017, 07:23 PM)Memnoich Wrote: There is a previous post that is similar: http://forum.maguss.org/thread-107.html

Modern Day Magic Stories
Mither Mage's Series by Orson Scott Card - Mage's from another world come to the Earth and are the Gods here
The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (6 Book Series) by Michael Scott - Very similar to the idea of Maguss, wizards hiding and fighting in Modern day.
Thomas covenant series by Stephen R Donaldson - Man with leprosy travels to another world when unconscious where he has unimaginable power
Shannara Chronicles by Terry Brooks - Series bounces between modern day and far flung future where magic and demons collide (also a TV Series)
DeathGate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman - Two Major Powers warred with each other, the world was sundered and rebuilt, this series is the aftermath
The Magicians by Lev Grossman - The source of magic is disappearing, students from the modern school of magic are the only hope (also a TV Series)

Definitely going to read all the Dresden Files

Have not thought about Shannara. I always considered that more High Fantasy, although I understand that they eventually linked the Knight of the Word series (and I guess I need to recommend that in an upcoming post) into Shannara. Walker Boh was always my favorite character, or Allanon in the earlier books.

Speaking of Terry Brooks, don't forget about the Landover series. Those were a lot of fun. I loved Questor Thews and Abernathy.

I have not even THOUGHT about the Deathgate Cycle in years. I need to go back and re-read that. I remember thinking Haplo was awesome.

I saw The Magicians series on Netflix based on the book. It actually caused me to reread my old Mage the Ascension books, which eventually lead me to Maguss.

(04-20-2017, 07:23 PM)Memnoich Wrote: There is a previous post that is similar: http://forum.maguss.org/thread-107.html

Thanks for the link, BTW, good stuff.

It seems like we are frequently retreading different paths you guys already took several months ago, but it is all new to us.

#7 Brabbelback
(04-21-2017, 01:09 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: So is Kingkiller set in modern day as well?

No it's not! It's kinda like a middle age setting with some very well explained magic stuff!
#8 BlkSabbath74
Jumping in the wayback machine, back in high school I remember reading A Logical Magician and A Calculated Magic by Robert Weinberg. The main character is a modern mathematician who ends up working for Merlin and fight evil creatures with a mix of magic and logic.

#9 BlkSabbath74
I just noticed that James Patterson has a young adult series called Witch and Wizard, similar in nature to his Maximum Ride stories, that are available in novel or graphic novel format.

Has anyone read them?

#10 BlkSabbath74

Modern Day Magic Stories

So are the Nicholas Flamel books connected to Harry Potter, or separate?