• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Movies and Television Shows

#1 BlkSabbath74
What movies and/or Television Shows do you find inspirational for playing Maguss?
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"Oh, basely done!" he cried. "I had hoped for better of thee!"

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

- The Courts of Chaos, Roger Zelazny
#2 Tadashi28DC
Harry Potter. Smile
Testing and helping the Maguss community.
Having a lot of fun playing Maguss! Learning many new spells every day.

#3 BlkSabbath74
Television Shows:

Constantine - Watch it on CW Seed for free. This was a great show, so sadly cancelled after only one season. It really nailed the Occult Detective feel (even though, he is, technically, an unsanctioned Exorcist. The character John Constantine is a great blend of investigation, street smarts, and magic, the dark and gritty kind. He only rarely needs to cast spells, and is a sort of Jack of All Trades among different magic traditions, master of none, but able to effectively research, identify and defeat all sorts of nasties, mostly of the demonic variety. I enjoyed this show immensely, and keep hoping maybe somebody will pick it up. The magic was crude, ritualistic and had consequences...as it should, in my opinion.

The Magicians – A group of young adults study at Brakebills, a University for Magicians. This is a very bad adaptation, but still not bad for what is available. It is kind of an adult version of Harry Potter, as well and a darker version of Narnia called Fillory. There is plenty of supernatural themed modern horror or urban fantasy out there, but very few that focus directly on magic and magic users. Most focus on Vampires or Hunters. Also, I remember being fairly impressed with it until I read the books, which are much better. Also, it is available on Netflix.

The Dresden Files – An wizard who assists the police and acts and a private detective. This is also a terrible adaptation of the books, but still much better than a lot of what is out there. The occult detective has become a pretty legit archetype (John Constantine, Harry Damour, ect). Pretty much everything I wrote above, only, sadly, not available on Netflix.

American Horror Story: Coven (Season 3). This tends to get a little derivative and weird, but still a very solid season (maybe the best) of a very solid show featuring a war between a coven of witches, a group of voudoan priestesses, and a group of modern hunters in the streets of New Orleans. The casting of Cathy Bates, Angela Basset and Jessica Lange along make it worth watching. It drags at some points, but is very powerful in others, and makes excellent use of its setting of New Orleans and the mythology of that city.  

The Secret Circle – From 2012, with only one season, available on Neflix, this show follows a group of high schoolers who discover they are witches and warlocks. It is basically a modernized amalgam of The Craft, The Covenant, and Charmed. It is not badly done, is available on Netflix, and it’s a shame it wasn’t picked up for more seasons…bringing us to…

Charmed – Witches meet 90210. On the surface, this is just bad TV, with scantily clad chicas and not a lot of depth. However, there is some value here, if you’re willing to watch. Also, it gets markedly better (not a high bar) once they got rid of Shannon Doherty. Also on Netflix, last I checked.

Shadowhunters – Technically not mages, but angel-blooded hunters…but they cast spell effects by drawing sigils with their styluses and angel blades. Seem familiar? A bit tweeny, but an overall pretty solid look at a supernatural world…although when it comes to that, nothing beat…

Supernatural – One of the all-time greats, in my opinion. Obviously, it falls more towards Hunters than Magicians, but does a great job showcasing classic ghost stories, myths, and movie monsters alongside modern cryptids and urban legends in a way that is fresh and humorous in the face of horror. Still going after 10 seasons, and available on Netlifx.

Grimm- As above, more of a ‘Hunter’ show than dealing with magicians, but still some good plots and good monsters. Not as good as Supernatural, but still solid. My biggest problem is that it tries to lump all the monsters in a Wesen, the monster species of the show. Still a good watch. I hear that Netflix is bidding on season 7.

Lost Girl- This has the glib oversexed quality of Charmed, lumps all the supernatural creatures in as Fae, similar to Grimm, and has that Syfy quality to it. Having said all that, there is still some decent storytelling and some good monsters, with a decent Occult Detective vibe going. Also on Netflix.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel – Unfortunately, no longer on Netflix, and also more focused on hunters than mages, these are nevertheless classics, and do feature a great range of demons, monsters, and have their own signature magic users and spells.
I skewered him where he sat and saw the startled expression on his face as the wound began to flame.

"This isn't exactly the Olympic Games," I said, brushing some sparks from my cloak.

#4 BlkSabbath74
(07-07-2017, 02:45 PM)Tadashi28DC Wrote: Harry Potter. Smile

Obviously Harry Potter is a bit of a gold standard (although there are alot of other places to learn magic than a school, most of them more dangerous) and goes without saying.

Here are some other choice movies.

Lord of Illusions – SUCH a great movie from Clive Barker. This really delves into the dark aspects of modern magic; seedy cults hiding deep in the desert, a true worker of the Art hiding as a stage magician, and possibly the earliest version of the Occult Detective archetype in Harry D’amour. Plus, some awesome Clive Barker weirdness and great quotes "You're not worthy. None of you. Only Swann was worthy. You just waited like lambs.... ...Well I'm not your shepherd.

The Craft – An oldie but a goodie. Teenage witches form a circle and start casting some manage, but find that any evil they put into the world returns to them two-fold. Kinda goofy and dated, but, to my knowledge, the first mainstream movie about witchcraft that cast it in a somewhat positive light.

The Covenant – A remake of The Craft with guys instead of girls, and some plots revolving around old bloodlines. Not great, but pretty good.

Warlock Series – Basically a 1980s style horror franchise with an evil Warlock taking the place of Freddie or Jason…still, not bad, if you like the 80s horror genre (I do!)

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice – Nicholas Cage before he totally burned out, as a Sorcerer. Not all of it is good, but it is a functionally complete story about magic in the modern world. Watch out for those brooms, kid!

Mortal Instruments – Based on the same books as the Shadowhunters TV show, but done a little differently. Not great, but they didn’t really have much time to flesh everything out.

Doctor Strange – Admittedly, a comic book movie (and I love comics, nothing wrong with that) but at the same time, still a movie about magicians in the modern world, hiding in plain sight.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them – Really, this lumps in with Harry Potter, but definitely worth a mention.

#5 Tereza Kulovaná
I would add few of my favourite. Some of them have just a little touch of magic, but they are close to it in a different way.
Neverwhere - it's TV series about hidden society, people living in plain sight but unable to be part of the regular world again. There are some magic elements to it, but not so much.
Earthsea - great book series and nice movies (there was also Ghibli studio movie which was inspired by it but I haven't seen it). It's different world completely but this is the way how I imagine magicians as way of life. Very study heavy, snaps ng the world by words with strict rules and consequences.
#6 Memnoich
TV Series:
My little Pony: Friendship is Magic.....J/k

Merlin - Tales of Merlin the magician
Once upon a time - More story book magic
Legend of the Seeker- Based off the Sword of Truth series by Terry good kind
Power Ranger Mystic force - Cheesy but not bad "magic" use
Hex - British Show about a girl who discovers she has powers while in college and ends up involved with demons and other such things.
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]
#7 BlkSabbath74
(07-10-2017, 09:21 AM)Tereza Kulovaná Wrote: I would add few of my favourite. Some of them have just a little touch of magic, but they are close to it in a different way.
Neverwhere - it's TV series about hidden society, people living in plain sight but unable to be part of the regular world again. There are some magic elements to it, but not so much.
Earthsea - great book series and nice movies (there was also Ghibli studio movie which was inspired by it but I haven't seen it). It's different world completely but this is the way how I imagine magicians as way of life. Very study heavy, snaps ng the world by words with strict rules and consequences.

Is that Neverwhere as in the Neil Gaiman novel? I never knew there was a series. Anyone know where I can watch it?

#8 BlkSabbath74
(07-10-2017, 02:47 PM)Memnoich Wrote: TV Series:
My little Pony: Friendship is Magic.....J/k

Merlin - Tales of Merlin the magician
Once upon a time - More story book magic
Legend of the Seeker- Based off the Sword of Truth series by Terry good kind
Power Ranger Mystic force - Cheesy but not bad "magic" use
Hex - British Show about a girl who discovers she has powers while in college and ends up involved with demons and other such things.

Phew, for a second there I thought you were a Brony...

I remember seeing Hex a couple of times a while back when I had BBC. Any good?

#9 Tereza Kulovaná
(07-11-2017, 01:13 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote:
(07-10-2017, 09:21 AM)Tereza Kulovaná Wrote: I would add few of my favourite. Some of them have just a little touch of magic, but they are close to it in a different way.

Is that Neverwhere as in the Neil Gaiman novel? I never knew there was a series. Anyone know where I can watch it?

Yes, it is. And I have no idea, I saw it ages ago probably on youtube or somewhere.
#10 Memnoich
(07-11-2017, 03:03 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: Phew, for a second there I thought you were a Brony...
Nope, just my kids

(07-11-2017, 03:03 PM)BlkSabbath74 Wrote: I remember seeing Hex a couple of times a while back when I had BBC. Any good?
It was different, not too bad, and alot more sexual then I expected for BBC
[Image: splitter.png]
[Image: GCZeJrZ.png]